Hello, soccer fans! Welcome back to the Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast. So much has happened since our last episode, and we thank you to coming to us for all your Major League Soccer news. We’ve started to see a few teams separate themselves as contenders, while others are already scrambling to save their season. In this episode, we recap MLS Week 3, highlighting the following:
- Seattle is the best team in MLS after 3 weeks, DC United is the best team in the East
- Paunovic and the Fire don’t know what they’re doing (and no amount of mediocre international signings can stop it)
- Columbus just keeps collecting points – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
- Atlanta, Philly, and Orlando: what are you doing?
- Portland is in trouble, the window may have closed a year early
- Minnesota got a reality check
- NYCFC’s Mitrita got his first goal, but needs a reality check of his own
- FC Cincinnati’s home opener was just perfect
Nick and Mike also recap the quarterfinals of the Concacaf Champions League, seeing three Liga MX teams (Monterrey, Tigres, Santos Laguna) and one MLS team (Sporting KC) advance. Mike thinks SKC will advance past Monterrey to face Tigres in the finals, but Nick isn’t sharing his optimism. While we all want an MLS team to win the tournament for the first time, this most likely isn’t the year.
Thanks to everyone for listening, tweeting, emailing, and joining in the conversation. Be on the look out for a short episode previewing the USMNT roster for upcoming international friendlies. And a special thanks to our sponsors: Donovan Food Brokerage and Nice! Icelandic Spring Water.