Greetings, soccer fans! And welcome to The Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast. Thanks for joining us as we get back to Major League Soccer coverage, review the Gold Cup knockout rounds, and recap the Women’s World Cup semi-finals. We also thank you for helping us in our mission of growing the sport, and thanks to Luke Murray for sending us these links on how to start up soccer in your neighborhood:
- DIY Backyard Soccer And a Field: A Guide to Cost, Materials, and Legalities
- Soccer Warm-Up Guide: Drills & Exercises for Great Warm-Ups
- Five Mistakes Soccer Parents Make with Their Players
- How I Got My Child with ADHD Involved in Sports
- Ten Real-Life Lessons from Soccer
Please share your tips and advice for Luke and all those getting their kids involved in the world’s game!
Turning to soccer talk, Nick and Mike highlight a few MLS games, now that the league is back from international break. Tune in for analysis of
- Red Bulls New York vs. Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC’s games vs. DC United and Atlanta United
- New York City FC vs. Philadelphia Union
- And a shout out to the Colorado Rapids for their upset over league leader LAFC!
Next, our hosts turn to the Gold Cup. While the USMNT has survived and advanced against Panama and Curacao, they need to find their game – especially their offense – for their semi-final match-up against Jamaica. The hosts predict Mexico to defeat the US in the final, but the games leading up to that will definitely be exciting.
Finally, Nick and Mike take a quick look back at the USWNT’s run to the Women’s World Cup Final, where they will most likely meet the Netherlands (though don’t count Sweden out for an upset). The US Women have defeated Thailand, Chile, and Sweden in the group stages, then advanced through the knockout rounds past Spain, France, and England. They’ve got a target on their back, have taken the best shot of every team they’ve faced, and have risen to the challenge. USA! USA! USA!