Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:06:24 — 50.6MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | | More
Hello, soccer fans! Welcome to The Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast. Tonight, our hosts preview the eligible players in the Major League Soccer (MLS) Expansion Draft. Who will be the next group to join expansion sides Nashville SC and Inter Miami FC? Will your favorite players be protected? Tune in as Nick and Mike break down the current rosters of the expansion teams and their possible expansion draft picks.
Next, they review the biggest headlines from the MLS:
- Thierry Henry is the new head coach of the Montreal Impact: How will he fare?
- Brian Fernandez’ contract terminated, released from Portland Timbers roster: How does Portland replace him? Should they just rebuild?
- Do these teams need to go big or slow build? Tune in and find out!
Finally, The Sons of a Pitch go international. Nick and Mike recap the second Nations League meeting between the United States Men’s National Team (USMNT) and the Canadian Men’s National Team (CanMNT). After stunning the US 2-0 in Toronto, the Americans jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. Zardes and Morris shined in a 4-1 victory, and the defense held. Then, they take a deep dive into the Concacaf Nations League. They analyze the current tournament, its impact on the confederation, and how it affects World Cup qualifying. They also provide a look at how the new FIFA ranking system works and the algorithm used to determine the points for each game. Is it fair? Are there still bugs? You’ll hear all about it in tonight’s episode.
Be sure to join the conversation and keep up with our social media:
Have we got news for you!
Just one more day until the 2nd leg of 1st round of the 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs continues, and it seems like forever since we had a match! If you need something to get you through the next 24 hours, we’ve assembled a host of links to various coverage. Enjoy reading and supporting other MLS news sources.
We at Sons of a Pitch would especially like to thank Nick Chavez and LAFC Weekly for following us on twitter and putting out great content. We hope to collaborate with them in the future. Also, we’d like to recognize Grant for his support of the MLS and support of our podcast.
- Check out The NYCFC Nation as they look towards the Cityzens match up with Atlanta United.
- Even with LAFC out of the playoffs, be sure to bookmark LAFC Weekly to keep up with the latest club news from the fans’ perspective.
- The numbers guys over at Five Thirty Eight still have Atlanta United as the MLS Cup favorites. Check out their advanced statistics and see if you agree.
- Speaking of The Five Stripes, The Cooligans are certainly entertaining, if not also informative.
- SB Nation has your team covered! Catch the latest headlines from around the league by their knowledgeable team of writers.
- Sports Illustrated and Planet Futbol have in-depth playoff coverage on a variety of topics and storylines. And also one about Inter Miami FC’s new stadium.
- And of course, all the news straight from the league itself: MLS Soccer.