Greetings soccer fans! Welcome back to the Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast. In this episode, we take a twitter question asking us to pick-a-player who our favorite team could reasonably attain. Thanks to FC Cincinnati fan Eric Turner (@eric_turner7) for his question:
Keeping focused on a real, attainable player, Mike thinks Toronto FC could benefit from signing Omar Gonzalez in the allocation order. Nick wants young, European talent to make its way to teams like Sporting KC and Chicago in an effort to change up some of the styles of play the teams have been known for. Also, the hosts give their take on the Tim Howard Instagram rant against a fan critical of his performance in the Rapids’ 4-1 defeat at Chicago.
Finally, in the league roundup, our hosts recap all the Week 8 action. Out west, LAFC and the LA Galaxy continue to dominate headlines and stat sheets. Here are some quick takes on the current status of the teams:
Teams on the Rise
- LAFC – A disinterested LAFC lost 1-0 at Vancouver, only to beat Seattle 4-1 a few days later. Vela doing Vela things.
- LA Galaxy – 2nd in the West, conceding only 1 goal per game. And they have Zlatan.
- Philadelphia Union – Won 2 of 3, and 4 of 5. When scoring 2 goals, they haven’t lost.
- Toronto FC – Can Pozuelo keep up his amazing form (4 goals, 5 assists in 4 games) now that Jozy picked up an injury?
- San Jose Quakes – Goals and wins and points!
Teams on the Decline
- DC United – Dropping points after being poised to separate from the rest of the conference.
- Columbus Crew – See DC United.
- Sporting KC – Losses, goals conceded, and injuries the likes KC hasn’t seen in a long time.
- Minnesota United – Maybe that rebuilt defense wasn’t so rebuilt.
Thanks for listening! Please join the conversation on twitter @SOPSoccer or via email at email@example.com.