Hello soccer fans! Welcome back to a special episode of The Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast. In this episode we review the mid-week action around MLS and welcome for the first time Dr. Vanessa, a physical therapist. She talks about proper training, common injuries, and how to best prevent them. Here are a few highlights:
- Toronto FC make history with the most shots without a goal
- Timbers new DP Fernandez scores and salvages a point for his new team
- Atlanta gets another win, it wasn’t pretty, but it’s a win
- Sounders keep winning, Orlando needs to settle on a lineup
- LAFC continue to dominate the results, make Dallas feel like the rest in the West
In our interview with Dr. Vanessa: Physical Therapist, we learn about the education required of certified therapists and how they go about their business. Dr. Vanessa highlights how she develops exercises for her patients (including a modern pentathlete!). She discusses dynamic warm-ups, integrating game actions into training, and emphasizes practicing how you play. By doing this, you can minimize the risk of the most common sports injuries: ACL tears and ankle sprains.
A big thanks to Dr. Vanessa for taking the time to speak with us. Let us know of any questions for Dr. Vanessa or for the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or on twitter @SOPSoccer. Have a great night!