Welcome back, soccer fans! Thanks for returning to the Sons of a Pitch: An American Soccer Podcast for all your Major League Soccer news. In this episode, the hosts recap Week 11 and all the goals, drama, and story-lines that accompanied it. Tune in for:
- Houston and Dallas keep taking points
- LAFC – Seattle rematch not live up to the hype
- Zlatan’s talking trash and the league is letting him
The hosts also discuss what’s going on in the Eastern Conference. With no team looking like a favorite, the conference is up for grabs. Listen to Nick and Mike break down how:
- Columbus is slumping, Chicago is under-performing
- Atlanta is the most talented team, but only on paper
- DC can’t string together wins
- Is TFC the favorite? Based on PPG, they sure are
And to round out the discussion, we take a glimpse at the newly formed Canadian Premier League (CPL). With seven teams in Canada’s top flight, Mike discusses the influence of Toronto on the league and the league’s focus on developing young, Canadian talent. Nick is optimistic about the experience coaches, organizations, and owners will get and how they can apply that to the future of soccer in North America.
Finally, the hosts gives some early US Open Cup picks. The US Open Cup gets underway next week, and while MLS teams are favored to win (Mike likes Seattle, Nick likes Houston or Sporting KC), don’t be surprised is USL Championship sides like Louisville City or Saint Louis FC make a run.
Thanks again for listening, and be sure to join the conversation on twitter @SOPSoccer or in the comments below!